Friday 1 June 2012

Lady Ophelia and the Golden Shower

Again, this week at Darcy's Postcard Challenge, we are visiting a Country that was known by a different name in 1895...
THAILAND aka SIAM
Throughout the volatile history of this region Siam managed to remain independent of the major Colonising forces. In 1895 it purchased it's first ever Battleship, to fend of the French, Spanish and Japanese...amongst others. It did however maintain friendly status with the British Empire, who saw this small foreign nation as no threat to it's economy. The Siamese government at this time, were actively assisting the Filipino's in there struggle for independence from the Spanish.

The national flower of Thailand/Siam; The Ratchaphruek aka The Golden Shower

" My dearest Lillian,
It was so lovely to spend time with you, and see your glorious garden. Miss Francesca has not stopped talking about it, and your wonderful cream tea, since we left you.
We are now visiting with the Crown Prince Malia Vajiravudh in Siam. Such a warm welcoming people. Did you know, every single Government Minister here speaks English? I am greatly impressed, it makes the visit so much more enjoyable when one can chat with the locals.The poor Prince is so sad, as he acquired the title only this spring after the death of his brother from Typhoid. Miss Francesca is boiling and double checking everything before I can touch it!
The country side is abundant with the most beautiful flowers, but I told Richard I thought you would prefer a Golden Shower. He is being infuriatingly infantile! Every time I try to talk to him about giving you a Golden Shower, he bursts out laughing and has to leave the room! When I ask Miss Francesca what she thinks he is laughing about she just mutters something about "vile practices" and tuts. I think I may have to get you to have a firm word with him next time we are home.
Well it is an amazingly beautiful tree, and I am sending you one any way!
Yours affectionately Ophelia XXX"

Lillian is totally lost for words. She knows exactly what Sir Richard is laughing about, but how to  broach the subject with her naive young friend? She decides reverting to "school ma'am" is the best option.

"My Darling Ophelia,
Please kindly tell Sir Richard to stop his juvenile giggling. He is supposed to be a gentleman, though I understand his military background may have led him to acquire knowledge that I for one deem un-befitting! The term "Golden Shower" refers to the practice of urinating on others, to acquire some kind of sexual gratification. Your husband should have the decency to encourage you to use the trees other name ,Ratchaphruek, to spare you any further ridicule. 
I too enjoyed your visit, and meeting Miss Francesca. She is every bit as reliable as I had hoped, and wonderful company for you on your travels.
Your ever faithful friend Lillian xxx"

My page this week shows,(top right) the Crowned Prince of Siam in 1895 Prince Malia Vajiravudh, and various images of this beautiful people and country. The colour Yellow represents both the Royal family and the Buddhist Faith.
Photobucket

16 comments:

  1. Lol, Gina! I went to your blog through your profile and I got a message that your blog has adult content and if I want to continue. :)))

    Wow! Golden shower?! :) I did not know that's what it meant. :))) Great postcard!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got the same warning !! LOL
    Great story and I learned something new ;-) A xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Could the warning be because of the 'Golden Shower'? I got it too but luckily I am not scared away easily! ;)
    I love your drawing and I hope I can now follow along on the story again! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Folks, the warning is because I ticked the adult content box in my blog settings...because I feel some of the stuff I blog is a bit much for kids :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Got the same warning here, too! Great card and post! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too got the warning..I was hoping you knew about "golden showers" ..lol
    Great art work and history!
    Hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Golden shower, eh? Learn something new with each country but an ADULT WARNING??? I got it as well. Funny! Anyway, your Golden SHowers are lovely!!! Thanks for the education!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ha ha! What a stinker Sir Richard is taking the mickey out of his dear wife and laughing at her expense. Fancy Miss Lillian knowing - I bet she has been taken off the shelf and dusted a few times! Lovely postcard and book page.

    Janet xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. oooh gina a golden shower haha i can't not poke fun at that ..i told u to go before we went to thailand!! haha..love the story tho..

    ReplyDelete
  10. great card...I had to giggle when you first mentioned it at the beginning of the week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful! about the warning I really just thought oooo a nude drawing.

    golden showers lol

    ReplyDelete
  12. what a great read, and postcard. certainly something different.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I didn't know the meaning of Golden Shower ;o) You always educate me ;o) I love your journal page and the postcard ;o) I just read about you ticking off the adult content box ;o) Take Care ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  14. A wonderful postcard post again - great colors.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great postcard and page. Enjoyed the read and was intrigued by the warning. Still smiling.
    Jen x

    ReplyDelete
  16. LOL "Golden SHower" too funny- Anyways TY for all the history of the country and on your page. Once again a beautiful flower!

    ReplyDelete