"Spirit of the Storm" is the name I am giving this image. It was originally going to be a "sky" piece, but the background now reminds me of the first images we were shown of Hurricane Sandy reaching the East coast. You couldn't see where the sky stopped and the waves began, and could just make out the rolling layers as they broke against each other.
On the 16th of October I had a play with some water-mixable oil paints, and now I thought it was time to see how stable they are :D
First I sprayed the canvas with water, and blotted (and rubbed) the surface with kitchen paper...
I had to rub quite hard to get even a trace of paint off the surface! So the paint had set extremely well in just 3 weeks!
I then tried "pulling" paint off by using a very wet brush....nothing happened...so I used a very stiff dry brush to attack the paint...it did scrape a bit off, but I am impressed by the amount of staying power these cheap Reeves water-mixable oils have :D
So now to work on the canvas proper. I drew straight onto the painted surface with an Eye-ball pen...and it worked fine, and dried quickly.
Used a double outline to emphasise the figure...
and used a white Sakura gel pen to make little dots. This took slightly longer to dry than normal, but I am only talking minutes.
Not sure where this image is going...I am trying to learn from my friend Donna Parker, and show some patience with my work (let's see how long it takes before I crack and attack this in a rush lol)
Enjoy :D XXX