Wednesday 1 January 2014

HAPPY 2014!!!!!!!

Hope everyone is feeling frisky and full of fun for the start of 2014 :D
(I know I am)
I am already embarking on the adventure that is Soul Food, and this is the result of the first class with Mystele Kirkeeng

"LA LA LA......"
I won't be doing full technique reveals as it is a paid for course(so it wouldn't be fair), but I will share something I discovered.
Part of the process involved adding a layer using a Geli plate. I don't have one (yet). Other artists made suggestions of what you could use instead, but in a moment of inspiration I thought "hmmm....I wonder if a sheet from my wipe clean/disposable paper palette pad would work?"
IT DID!!!
I still want *neeeeeeeeeeeds* a gel plate though, and one artist kindly linked us to a blog that shared a well used recipe to make your own. 
The Glycerin took some finding, but I am know waiting for mine to set.
The recipe gives quantities for 9x12 or a smaller 16cmx16cm square(the sizes reflect the tins she had available).
I made up the larger mix and have opted for a 6x8, with the excess poured into a small round tin(one has to experiment you know)
If these work I am going to make a large one!!!
cost comparison (uk)......Geli plates start at around £19(£30 for 8x10).......home made cost of gelitane and glycerin  9x12 plate mix.....£10...got to be worth a try.
You can find the recipe HERE
Well off to roast a shoulder of pork for hot pork sandwiches....mmmmmm....with stuffing and apple sauce :D
Enjoy the year ahead...and try something new...every week if you can manage it :D XXX
Photobucket

5 comments:

  1. I so enjoy the gelly plate fun, even I didn´t have one...I use a plastic wallet and it worked out fine :) Love your sweet singer...would love to hear her musik ;) love the houses and trees in the background alot too! Wish you an artsy, happy, healthy and magical new year to come ♥ Conny
    Piaroms Art Journaling

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a fabulous piece, looks great. Looking forward to your forthcoming pieces ;)
    Wishing you a healthy, happy and creative year 2014.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year ;o) I have to look up gel plate. I don't even know what you are talking about Gina, sorry! Love your creation! I am hungry now, thanks! LOL! Big Hugs ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck with the gelli mix, looking forward to hearing how it works. I have got a little sheet to experiment with.
    hugs {brenda} xox

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing the gelli plate recipe! Your first masterpiece is lovely...I admire the layer very much! What a frisky bunny you are! xoDebi

    ReplyDelete