Monday 15 October 2012

Lady Ophelia and the Melancholy Thistle

Week 41 of Darcy's Postcard Challenge, finds Sir Richard and Lady Ophelia summoned to SCOTLAND.
Everyone knows the flower of Scotland is the Thistle, but I wasn't aware of exactly how many kinds of thistle there are, so for my story I have chosen the Melancholy Thistle(sorry, seem to have lost the leaf detail in process :S)
"My dearest Lillian,
You are never going to believe me when I tell you of this weeks events. You know how Richard is on special attachment as Her Majesty's Ambassador to "the Kingdom", well he was summoned to meet with Her Majesty at Balmoral! I think Miss Francesca actually squealed when the news came.
When we arrived, one of Her Majesty's own "Ladies in waiting" was assigned to "attend" me....and I was presented to Her Majesty at dinner!!
Apparently Richard is one of her "most valued servants", and she was curious to hear that he had married "Charlie's little red-haired imp". I thought I was going to give birth there and then (so did Miss Francesca). I didn't even know father had met Her Majesty before.
For all the excitement of the visit, I was left feeling a little sad. This most gracious and welcoming lady had such an air of sorrow. Miss Francesca says I witnessed my first truly broken heart in the presence of Her Majesty, and I pray I never have to see one again.
Oh, and Richard has given the go ahead for our new drawing room to be redecorated. I so loved the energy of the Tartan walls at Balmoral.
Yours affectionately, Ophelia xxx"

"My darling Ophelia,
I am all of a fluster....the embarrassment that your father would have suffered had you actually given birth in front of Her Majesty!!! Though I have to admit, you would have received the most up to date medical care from Her Majesty's physicians.
And yes, Miss Francesca is quite correct about the state of Our Majesty's heart, it was a dark day indeed when her precious Albert was taken from her.
Are you quite sure about the Tartan drawing room? I know it is fashionable, but in Yorkshire?
 I have to say, Marcus was quite nervous when he saw the thistle on the front of the card you sent, but when I opened the package containing the beautiful brooch, his smile returned. Thank you so much my dear, I will treasure it always.
Your devoted friend, Lillian xxx"

This is a brooch that belonged to my Gran(and I think it was her Grans too, which would make it 1800's)
I found a wonderful blog THE LOTHIANS with lots of images from Balmoral...including a short video of Her Majesty Queen Victoria at Balmoral in 1896!!!
Hubby upset printer again so pages have to wait....again :S
Enjoy :D XXX
Photobucket

10 comments:

  1. Wonderful! I wonder if Victoria would have been "amused" if Ophelia had given birth at Balmoral!
    Hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. great. love how you fit your story around everything, very clever..lovely postcard again. shall miss everyone's stories when this challenge finishes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your thistle Gina. Thanks for your help last week when my blog disappeared, I am so glad to have it back.
    Have a great week.
    hugs {brenda} xox

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to read your whole story when it's finished, so please bring it when we meet at Christmas??

    dxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will do...but it won't be finished til last week in December lol

      Delete
  5. Wonderful event in the story. Bet Marcus was very relieved at not having to plant a thistle. Yours looks great but they are a pain on my allotment.
    Jen x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super story, especially meeting Queen Victoria! I can grow thistles very well up here, some have leaves almost 3 feet long! The gold finches love them though.

    Janetxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Isn't the baby almost due?? I hope she goes for the Tartan room ;o) It would be cool ;o) Gina, your brooch is so pretty! A true family heirloom ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First week in November, so not far off. :D

      Delete