Wednesday 4 April 2012

"..Four grey walls and four grey towers.."

Verse 2 of "The Lady of Shalott" by Alfred Lord Tennyson (1809-1892)

"Willows whiten, aspens quiver,
Little breezes dusk and shiver
Through the wave that runs for ever
By the island in the river
Flowing down to Camelot.
Four grey walls, and four grey towers,
Overlook a space of flowers,
And the silent isle imbowers
The Lady of Shalott"
This lady is looking towards the towered building ...
I love using my water soluble pencils to add shaded areas.
This time I used water colours and guache for the layering...
while building the hair up with brown and yellow pencils.
This is how the 2 pages work together. Haven't decided what else to add yet, definitely goind to build a border :D
Think I'm going to post the rest as double spreads(with a few in progress shots of each image)
Enjoy :D XXX
Photobucket

13 comments:

  1. True artistry.
    hugs {brenda} xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow....wow...wow! Fabulous ;)
    xoxo Sioux

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this spread, Gina! They look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It seems like we are in a Victorian state of mind. I was just reading Tennyson's "Now Sleeps the Crimson Petals."

    I love her dress. And that wondrous look that says something gloomy is going on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh but I love the step by steps you show. I know how much work it can be though.

    he is so full of emotion! you make want to read the poem. it will forever be illustrated with your characters for me now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. love the shading...wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful two faces, I love how you have been this double page.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful two faces, I love how you have been this double page.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, our life is left behind.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is developing wonderfully Gina!Also nice to read the poem again..
    Hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful Gina ;o) I love the eyes! So much feeling in them!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, also the 2nd page looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really liked the last pic a lot!

    ReplyDelete